Hartlepool Borough Council

A to Z of services: Welfare rights, benefits and financial help

Welfare rights, benefits and financial help: Outline

Housing and Local Council Tax Support is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and Council Tax. It is administered by Hartlepool Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the government.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are:

  • Paying rent to a private landlord
  • Housing Association tenant
  • Living in a hostel
  • Paying for board and lodgings

You can claim Local Council Tax Support if you are:

  • A home-owner liable to pay Council Tax

You do not have to be unemployed or unable to work to claim these benefits. You can apply if you are working and earning a low wage.

If you own your home, we are unable to assist with your mortgage payments. You will have to contact the Department for Work and Pensions if you require this help.

You will not qualify if:

  • You have savings over £16,000 (except those in receipt of the Guaranteed Credit part of the Pension Credit).
  • You are living with / paying board to a close relative.
  • You are from outside the UK and do not have recourse to public funds.

For more information on Local Council Tax Support, visit our Advice and Benefits section.

Contact: Benefits Section

Department: Chief Executive's

Telephone: 01429 284188

Benefits Section, Civic Centre, Victoria Road, Hartlepool, TS24 8AY

Begin to type the name and select from the appearing choices.