Hartlepool Registration Service - Deaths
Deaths - Registering
How long do I have to register a death?
Deaths normally have to be registered within 5 days. If the Coroner is involved this may be extended, the Coroner's office will be able to give you guidance.
- A relative of the deceased
- Someone that was present at the time of the death
If neither of the above apply please contact us on 01429 523337 for further guidance.
How do I register a death?
We operate an appointment system to register deaths. Please contact us on 01429 523337 to make an appointment.
There is no charge to register a death however death certificates cost £4 each at the time of registration; you can buy as many as you think you will need.
The death has not been not referred to the Coroner; once the medical certificate has been issued
The death has been referred to the Coroner; once the registrar has received the paperwork from the Coroner.
Appointments normally take 30 minutes.
You must bring the Medical Certificate issued by a Doctor, this will be given to you in a sealed envelope.
If possible please bring along the below documents if they are available;
- Birth certificate of the deceased
- Marriage or Civil Partnership certificate of the deceased (if applicable)
- NHS Medical card
- Full name of the deceased at time of death
- Any other names previously used (including maiden name if relevant)
- Date and place of birth (town and county if born in the UK and country if born abroad)
- Their last address
- Their occupation (last occupation if retired)
- If there is a surviving spouse or civil partner, their full name and date of birth
- If the deceased was a married woman her husband's occupation
- If the deceased were getting a state pension or any other state benefit
- A form for the Funeral Director / Organiser (unless one has already been issued by the Coroner)
- A form for the Benefits Agency which relates to state pensions and / or benefits
- Any death certificates that have beeen purchased
Can I organise the funeral without the death certificate?
You will be able to make initial arrangements with the Funeral Director / Organiser however the funeral can not take place.
The death did not take place in Hartlepool , can I still register there?
You are able to register a death in any register office in England and Wales however due to the delay in receiving paperwork we request you attend the register office for the district the death took place. For further information please contact us on 01429 523337.
Address: Civic Centre
Monday - Thursday, 8.30am - 5pm
Friday, 8.30am - 4.30pm
Tel: (01429) 523337
Telephone: 01429 266522