Hartlepool Borough Council

Petroleum Filling Stations

Transfer of Licence

  • Page 11 of 11


Under the current legislation, Petroleum Licences are issued to a named person(s) or Company as the 'Licensee' until the site (property) changes hands.

When this occurs, an Application Form for a Transfer of Licence should be obtained from the petroleum Licensing Authority, giving 28 days notice of the transfer.

This provision comes from the Petroleum(Transfer of Licence) Act 1936.

What To Do?

If the site is to be sold or transferred to another person or named body, you should complete the transfer of licence form and send it to:

The Licensing Team

Hartlepool Borough Council

Bryan Hanson House

Hanson Square


TS24 7BT


The application form should be accompanied with the prescribed fee, currently £8.00 with any cheque payable to "Hartlepool Borough Council".

What Happens Next?

On receipt of any application, a new Licence will be prepared together with the current conditions of licence and they will be forwarded to the new 'Licensee' normally within 10 working days. When you receive it you should make sure that a copy is held in the Site Register at all times, ensuring that it is available for inspection by any duly authorised Officer of the Council.

Application Form for the Transfer of Licence

Petroleum Licensing Conditions


External Links
Hartlepool Borough Council is not responsible for the content of any external websites and does not endorse any product or organisation contained therein


Contact us

Telephone: 01429 266522

Send your feedback or find key contact details.