Notice of intention documentation

When you attend your notice appointment you will need to bring supporting documents with you. All documents must be valid originals; expired documents or photocopies are not accepted. If you do not bring sufficient documentation to your appointment we will be unable to proceed.

Proof of nationality

  • Valid passport / biometric residence card.

Not able to provide a valid passport (UK nationals only)

  • Born before 1983 - you will need to produce your full birth certificate (one that shows your parent's details as well as your own).
  • Born after 1983 - you will need to produce your full birth certificate and the full birth certificate of one of your parents - we are only able to accept your father's birth certificate if he is named on your birth certificate.

Order a copy cetificate

Proof of address

Please bring one of the following;

  • Valid UK driving license.
  • Utility bill - must be dated within three months.
  • Bank or building society statement or passbook - must be dated within one month.
  • Council tax bill - must be dated within one year.
  • Mortgage statement - must be dated within one year.
  • Current tenancy agreement.

Additional information 

If any of the below circumstances apply you will need to provide additional documentation.

Previous marriage or civil partnership dissolved or annulled

  • UK divorce - decree absolute with the original court stamp.
  • Foreign divorce - original final foreign divorce documents with a signed and dated third party translation if the document in not in English. Please note a foreign divorce may require clearance from the Registrar General. If this is the case the Registrar General may request additional information or documentation once your notice has been taken. Your ceremony will not be able to go ahead without this clearance being granted.

Widow, widower or surviving civil partner

  • A death certificate relating to the deceased partner.
  • The related marriage / civil partnership certificate if you are not named on the death certificate.

Name change

  • Deed poll - deed poll documents
  • Other than deed poll - evidence of your former or other names i.e. name change documents, prior divorce document or other evidence of a former name.

Under 18

Information on the evidence required will be provided when you contact to make your appointment.