Financial assistance for businesses adversely affected by COVID-19
Businesses in the following sectors can apply for a Restart Grant to support the re-opening of their business from the lockdown restrictions:
Non-essential retail: a business that is open to the public and is used mainly or wholly for the purposes of retail sale or hire of goods or services, where the primary purpose of products or services provided are not necessary to the health and well-being of the public.
Hospitality: a business whose main function is to provide a venue for the consumption and sale of food and drink.
Leisure: a business that provides opportunities, experiences and facilities, in particular for culture, recreation, entertainment, celebratory events, days and nights out, betting and gaming.
Accommodation: a business whose main lodging provision is used for holiday, travel and other purposes.
Personal care: a business which provides a service, treatment or activity for the purposes of personal beauty, hair, grooming, body care and aesthetics, and wellbeing.
Gym & Sport: a commercial establishment where physical exercise or training is conducted on an individual basis or group basis, using exercise equipment or open floor space with or without instruction, or where individual and group sporting, athletic and physical activities are participated in competitively or recreationally.
To check the specific types of businesses in each of these categories click on the button below,
How much will you get?
The Restart Grant is a one-off grant.
- A rateable value of £15,000 or below on 1 April 2021 - £2,667
- A rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April - £4,000
- A rateable value of £51,000 and above on 1 April - £6,000
Hospitality, Leisure, Accommodation, Personal Care, Gym and Sport:
- A rateable value of £15,000 or below on 1 April 2021 - £8,000
- A rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April - £12,000
- A rateable value of £51,000 and above on 1 April - £18,000
To be eligible for this grant, you must:
- Run a business based in Hartlepool
- Be in the non-essential retail, hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care or gym and sports sectors
- Be the ratepayer in respect of the hereditament on 1 April 2021 according to the Council’s records; and
- Be classified as “trading” on the 1 April 2021.
Your business cannot apply if:
- It was in administration, insolvent or a striking off notice is in place;
- You have reached the subsidy allowance limit (previously known as state aid). For more information on the subsidy allowance, please click on the button below.
How to apply
You will need:
- Your business rates account number;
- Either your company number, VAT registration number, self-assessment / partnership number, unique taxpayer reference number or registered charity number; and
- Your business bank account details.
Applications must be received by the 30 June 2021.
If you consider your business to be eligible for a Restart Grant click on the button below to apply.