What happens if you are unable to pay

If you are unable to pay we would like to do all we can to help.

There are a number of ways in which we may be able to help to reduce the amount of Council Tax you pay.

  • Council Tax Support - We will look into your circumstances to see whether you can claim Council Tax Support or any other Benefit, which will help to make the most of your income.
  • Exemptions, Discounts, Reductions - Depending on your circumstances your property may be entitled to an exemption, discount or reduction.
  • Special Payment Arrangements - We will ask you about your earnings and the bills you have to pay, and may be able to make a special arrangement based on what you can afford to pay.

Remember we are here to help, so please contact the Recovery Section on 01429 284166 as soon as you have problems making your payments.

What happens if you don't get in touch.

If you are in arrears with your council tax payments, we will send you a reminder notice to pay the amount on the notice within 7 days or we will cancel your right to pay by instalments. You will then have to pay the full amount of council tax you owe within 7 days. If you do not pay the full amount we will send you a Magistrates Court summons, which adds costs to the amount you already owe.

Please remember that we will only issue 2 reminder notices in any one financial year. If you fail to pay for a 3rd time, we will send you a final notice telling you that you have lost the right to pay by instalments. A summons will then be issued even if you do not contact us and make an arrangement to pay.

More Recovery Information