Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Service
The SENDIAS Service is still accessible to provide information, advice and support during normal office hours, either by telephone or email. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer meetings or home visits at this time.
SUPPORT FOR FAMILIES - COVID-19
- Open letter to children and young people with SEND, their parents, families and others who support them from Vicky Ford, MP
- Coronavirus - information for younger children and Learning Disability
- Managing anxiety about coronavirus - information for adolescents
- Managing anxiety about coronavirus - information for parents and carers
- National Autistic Society - guidance and helpline for parents', and young people and staff: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/nas-schools/vanguard/news/2020/march/coronavirus-(covid-19)-advice.aspx
- Mencap - Easy Read Guide to Coronavirus: https://www.mencap.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-03/Information%20about%20Coronavirus%20ER%20SS2.pdf
- Place2Be - Guide to helping parents answer questions from their children and to support family wellbeing: https://www.place2be.org.uk/about-us/news-and-blogs/2020/march/coronavirus-information-for-children/
- Young Minds - Talking to your child about Coronavirus and 10 tips from their Parents Helpline to support family wellbeing: https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/talking-to-your-child-about-coronavirus/
- Carers UK - Guidance for carers: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/coronavirus-covid-19
- Covibook - an interactive resource designed to support and reassure children aged 7 and under, designed to help children explain and draw the emotions that they might be experiencing during the pandemic:https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
- Amaze - information pack for parents: https://amazesussex.org.uk/faqs-about-the-coronavirus-for-parent-carers-of-children-with-send-brighton-hove/
- Public Health England have produced an easy read version of their Advice on the coronavirus for places of education. You can download it here.
- Hungry Little Minds Campaign
- SEND Disagreement Resolution Factsheet - Routes for Disagreement Resolution
- SEND Disagreement Resolution Factsheet - Disagreement Resolution Services (DRS)
- SEND Disagreement Resolution Factsheet - Mediation
- Special Needs Jungle - Coronavirus EHCP Laws
- Contact for Families with Disabled Children - Covid-19 Advice and Support
- Council for Disabled Children - Covid-19 Support and Guidance
- North Cumbria and North East Children and Young People Peer Network Newsletter - June 2020
- Minister Ford Open Letter to SEND Sector Schools Opening
- Are you worried about your child's educational progress?
- Does your child, have or may have Special Educational needs and/or a disability?
- Is your child in the process of being assessed?
WE CAN HELP BY OFFERING PARENTS AND CARERS THE FOLLOWING:
- Independent support and someone to talk to in complete confidence
- An explanation of matters concerning special educational needs
- Information on SEN support in school
- An explanation of the statutory assessment procedure
- Details of voluntary organisations
- Contacts with local support groups
WE CAN HELP YOU TO EXPRESS YOUR VIEWS BY:
- Attending school meeting with you
- Assisting with letter/report writing
- Advising on your parental rights
- Helping you to understand procedures and services
WHAT IS THE HARTLEPOOL INFORMATION, ADVICE AND SUPPORT SERVICE
Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Service plays a key role in promoting positive relationships between parents, children and young people, schools, local authorities (LAs) and others. This is important in enabling children and young people with SEND to achieve their potential. Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Service will provide support in order to ensure that parents of children and young people with SEND are fully informed and involved in their child's education. Although the Information, Advice and Support Service are part of the LA, it operates independently from The SEND Education Services offering impartial advice, support and information.
THE SERVICE OFFERS PARENTS, CARERS, CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE THE FOLLOWING:
- Local policy and practice
- Help to request an Education, Health and Care Plan (In Hartlepool known as the One Plan)
- Independent Support to support parents', carers, children and young people through the statutory assessment process and transfer of Statements/LDA's to a Education, Health and Care Plan
- Someone to talk to in complete confidence
- An explanation of matters concerning SEND
- Help with filling in forms and expressing views
- Someone to attend meetings with
- Information on the Local Offer of Services
- Information Leaflets about special educational needs and or Disability
- Information around personalisation and Personal Budgets
- Law on SEN and disability, health and social care through suitably trained staff
- Advice for children, young people and parents on gathering, understanding and interpreting information and applying it to their own situation
- Information on the local authority's processes for resolving disagreements, mediation, it's complaints procedure and means of address
- What is an information, advice and support service?
- How to run an information, advice and support service in order to meet the minimum standards
- What information, advice and support services must do for Children and Young People with SEND and their families to meet the minimum standards
You might also find the following pages useful:Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Service Young People's Policies and Factsheets
If you have used Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Service or are currently being supported by them. If you could take a few minutes to complete the survey monkey to help us find out what you thought or think about the service and any improvements that can be made.
Telephone: 01429 284876 or leave a answer message or a text to: 07776 491662
Opening Times: Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5:00pm. Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm (all year round)
National Helpline for SENDIASS Telephone Number: 0808 8083555