Coronavirus and funeral services at our crematoria and cemeteries
What we're doing to delay the spread of the virus at our crematoria and cemeteries and what you can do to help us
Many of our customers are concerned about the impact coronavirus (COVID-19) may have on their funeral service.
Following Government and Public Health England guidance we’ve introduced measures to delay the spread of the virus and protect residents using the services.
What we’re doing:
- restricting funeral attendance to immediate family or very close friends only
- asking you to wear face coverings when attending services in the chapel unless you are exempt
- asking you to choose music from the selection that we have, or offering you the opportunity to play your own music rather than accepting CDs
- asking funeral directors to continue assisting with recording and memorialising the service for family and friends who can’t attend
- asking you to observe the government guidance on gatherings and social distancing when attending the scattering and burial of ashes.
We’ll continue to review government and Public Health England guidelines on large gatherings and share updates.
To help you can:
- drop paperwork off at our letter box or email it to us
- try to use email and phone if you need to get in touch
- observe social distancing when attending funerals at the crematorium or cemeteries.
Further government guidance on attending funerals can be found at the following link
Crematorium Opening times:
Monday - Friday
9.30am - 3.00pm
Other arrangements can be made by contacting Stranton cemetery office.
Tanfield Road entrance - Vehicle barrier now in operation
Funeral Directors have been provided with a method of access via the barrier. If a funeral cortege is in close procession to the hearse they will also gain access.
If attending a funeral but not in the funeral cortege, you will need to press the large button on the panel next to the barrier. This will be answered by cemetery staff who will open the barrier for you. Please be aware that at times it may take a little time to answer the call, but if after a reasonable time you receive no response please re-press the button. When leaving a funeral the same procedure applies.
If you are not attending a funeral you will not be allowed through this barrier in a vehicle.