About Adult Social Care

What we do

Adult Social Care is part of the Child and Adult Services Department at Hartlepool Borough Council.  We used to be called Social Services. 

We support people aged 18 years or over who are vulnerable or at risk.  We can help: 

  • older people (people who are aged 65 or over)
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with mental health needs
  • people with physical disabilities
  • people who are having difficulty with their hearing or sight 
  • young people or adults who care for relatives or friends 

Some of the things we can do to help

We can:

  • work with you to agree a support plan which gives you choice and control over the help you need to live independently
  • give advice on welfare benefits and help people who can not manage their own money due to a mental health problem or learning disability
  • provide equipment, adaptations and advice to help you move around your home safely, prepare meals and keep clean
  • give information about support services available to you 
Before we can develop a support plan we must carry out an assessment of your needs.  Assessments are carried out by social workers, social care officers, occupational therapists or other professionals. 

You may also find the following information useful:

Getting help from us

What is an assessment?

Making sense of an assessment

Residential and Nursing Care Homes