Disagree with decision

How to contact us if you have received a decision you disagree with. 

You can ask for an explanation of how we have worked out your benefit entitlement, ask us to look at our decision again and revise it, or appeal against the decision.  All appeals/Reconsiderations must be signed

Please write to us at the following address:

Hartlepool Borough Council,
Benefits Section
Civic Centre
Victoria Road
TS24 8AY

Alternatively, you can e-mail us at benefits@hartlepool.gov.uk

You must do this within one calendar month from the date of our decision.

If you would like to appeal or ask us to revise a decision we have made, you should clearly state why you think the decision is wrong. We will either confirm the original decision or tell you how we have changed it. If you still disagree, you have the right to make an appeal to an independent tribunal.

Further information regarding your rights is shown on your latest decision notice. 

Backdating of Housing Benefit/Local Council Tax Support

You can ask for Benefit to be paid from an earlier date. We only consider paying benefit from an earlier date if you can show good reasons why you did not claim sooner.You should provide supporting evidence. The supporting evidence can be provided at a later date .You must give full reasons and as much detail in your backdate request as possible.

For further advice: