Don’t miss Dementia Action Week 2019 in HartlepoolPublished Wednesday, 15th May 2019
Residents don’t want to miss out on a packed calendar of events to mark this year’s Dementia Action Week.
Running from Monday 20th May until Sunday 26th May, the week will kick off with a surprise event taking place on Monday at 10am, Middleton Grange Shopping Centre (just outside of B&M). Crowds are encouraged to gather early so they don’t miss out on the fun.
A packed schedule of events follows the launch with something on offer to suit all ages, including:
- Stories and rhymes sessions at Community Hubs and libraries throughout the week.
- Ward Jackson Park Walk – Wednesday 22nd May, 1.15pm start. Join us for a walk around the park. Suitable for all ages, there’ll also be a 5 key messages trail and ‘Exploring Dementia Through Play’ sessions for younger visitors to take part in.
- Family event at Hartfields – Wednesday 22nd May, 6pm – 9pm, Hartfields Retirement Village. For more information or to book a place, please call 01429 855070.
- Free treatments for men and women living with dementia and their carers – Thursday 23rd May, 9.30am – 2.30pm, Hartlepool Carers. Treatments include massages and manicures. Please book via 01429 283095.
- Busking at Middleton Grange – Thursday 23rd May, 11am – 12pm, Middleton Grange Shopping Centre (outside B&M). Come along for a sing-along of all the classics.
- Celebration Dance – Friday 24th May, 1pm – 3pm, The AVenue. Live entertainment and afternoon tea. £3 per ticket. Please book via The Bridge on 01429 868587.
The goal of Dementia Action Week is to encourage people to take action to improve the lives of those living with dementia across the country. This can be through supporting local events, fundraising activities to support vital charities or research, or simply by increasing understanding and awareness of dementia.
Caroline Ryder-Jones, Dementia Friendly Hartlepool representative, said: “Dementia Action Week encourages everyone to make a joint effort to come together, increase their understanding and take small actions towards big changes to help those living with dementia.
“We’d encourage all residents to get out and support local activities happening across the action-packed week in Hartlepool. From Dementia Friends sessions at The Bridge to busking at Middleton Grange, there really is something for everyone.”