Changing surname of a child

A child's surname can be changed on the original birth registration for two reasons;

  • Following the marriage of their natural parents if they were not married at the time of the birth.
  • When updating the record to add the natural father's details if they were not recorded at the time of the original registration.

If either apply you should complete the relevant application form and return it to our office. 

Following marriage

Add father's details

Request a paper application form

Once the form has been returned we will contact you to make an appointment or to advise if we have had to pass the application to General Register Office for further approval.

If the re-registration reasons do not apply you may be able to change the child's surname but the birth registration will not be changed. Contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor for advice.