Changing mother's surname

If the child's natural parents have married each other since the birth was registered the birth should be re-registered to accurately record the current legal status of the child. The birth should be re-registered even if there is no change to the child's name. The surname of the mother can be updated during this process. An application form should be completed and returned to our office.

Following parent's marriage

Request a paper application form

Once the form has been returned we will contact you to make an appointment or to advise if we have had to pass the application to General Register Office for further approval.