Getting married outside England and Wales

If you are getting married or entering into a civil partnership outside England and Wales different rules apply depending on the country where your ceremony will be held.

Information on what is required can be found using the below external links.


Marriage / civil partnership in British Isles and Channel Islands.

Marriage / civil partnership in Scotland

Marriage / civil partnership in Northern Ireland

Marriage / civil partnership in the Irish Republic

Marriage / civil partnership on the Isle of Man

Marriage / civil partnership in Jersey

Marriage / civil partnership in Guernsey


Marriage / civil partnership outside of the British Isles.

Marriage / civil partnership abroad

It is the couple's responsibility to seek advice on the requirements from the country or area where they are getting married / forming a civil partnership in addition to the person conducting their ceremony. A list of Embassies and High Commissions in the UK is available online - (external link)

For a ceremony to be able to go ahead documents may need to be legalised with an apostille and / or translated. Further information on legalisation of documents can be found at

If you require a certificate of no impediment please complete an appointment request form. Please note the UK does not issue certificates of no impediment (CNI) for marriages / civil partnerships in Commonwealth countries. 

Request a notice of intention appointment