Elective Home Education

The 1996 Education Act places a duty on parents or guardians to secure the education of their children who are of compulsory school age.  Obviously for most children this means that they will attend a school, either state or independent.  However, a small number of parents choose to educate their children themselves. Home education (HE) is an alternative to school; any family can choose this option for their children - parents choose to keep primary responsibility for the education of their children as is their right in law, instead of delegating it to a school.

When a parent decides to withdraw their child from school to home educate it is important that they notify the school where the child is registered.  The school will then remove the child from their register and inform the local authority.  We also ask that you inform the Child and Adult Services Department, so that we are aware of the change.  We would also recommend that you inform us of any significant changes in your circumstances relevant to the effective education of your child e.g. change of address. If your child has special educational needs, then you may need permission to withdraw your child from school.

The Education Act 1996 applies to England and Wales and states that it is the:

7   Duty of parents to secure education of children of compulsory school age. The parent of every child of compulsory school age shall cause him to receive efficient full-time education suitable-

a.      to his age, ability and aptitude, and

b.      to any special educational needs he may have,

either by regular attendance at school or otherwise. Home education is covered under "education otherwise" and ensures that parents have the right to chose not to send their child into the state schooling system.

Further information can be obtained from:

Emma Rutherford

Education Co-ordinator - Vulnerable Pupils

Telephone number 01429 284370.



Or you can contact Education Otherwise  a membership organisation which provides support and information for families whose children are being educated outside school.