Apply to transfer school

In year admissions (changing schools) 

If you have moved home, you can apply to change school during the school year.  This is called "in year admission".  You can also make an application if you want your child to go to a different school.

Please ensure that you discuss any problems or concerns with your child's current school, as moving schools can be disruptive for children so it's worth trying to fix problems first.

School places 

Some schools will already be full and may only have occasional vacancies when a child leaves the school.  As vacancies are filled regularly, any information you receive about vacancies at a school is only valid at the time of enquiry, as we are unable to hold school places.  For school vacancy information, please contact the Admissions Team on 01429 284368.

If a school has a vacancy when you enquire, you may not be offered that place if the vacancy is filled by an earlier applicant, or the school has a waiting list. 

Further information on Hartlepool schools can be found in the following booklet:

Making an application

You can make an in year application to us for all Hartlepool schools.  Click on the link below to download the application form, or contact our team on 01429 284368 to request a paper application form:

You can list up to 3 preferences.  If places are available, we'll offer you the highest preference possible.  

Children with special education needs

If you child has a statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan, your child's application will be handled by our Special Educational Needs & Disability Team.

Addresses of UK service personnel and crown servants

If you're employed as UK service personnel or crown servants, please also provide an official letter from either:

  • Ministry of Defence (MOD)
  • Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
  • Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) 

The letter must give your relocation date and a unit postal or quartering address in Hartlepool, which will allow our application to be processed in advance of your move and a school place offered (as long as it's within a reasonable time).

How long does the process take?

The whole process from submitting your application, to you child starting the school can usually take between 2-3 school weeks, although this may be longer during busy times and school holidays.

Appealing a decision

If your child cannot be offered a place you will be informed of your right of appeal and also advised about waiting lists. Waiting lists are ordered in accordance with the school's published admission criteria.

Fair Access Protocol

We use a set of principles when we consider in-year admission applications for 'hard to place' or vulnerable children.  This is to ensure that all children get a suitable school place and that no school is asked to take an unreasonable number of children who have a higher level of need. 

For more details, read the fair access protocol:

Contact us 

Should you require any further assistance in relation to in-year school transfers please contact School Admissions on 01429 284368, or email