Environmental Permits

Some industrial installations and their processes have the potential to cause pollution. The Environmental Permit Scheme controls emissions from these processes by imposing strict conditions on the operators in relation to the monitoring of emissions and process controls

There are currently three types of installation classification.

Part A1 installations are regulated by the Environment Agency while
Part A2 and Part B installations are regulated by local authorities.

The Environmental Protection Team within Hartlepool Borough Council is responsible for permitting and inspecting all Part A2 and Part B installations within the Borough. Part A2 installations require all environmental emissions and impacts to be considered, i.e. air pollution, water pollution, noise, land contamination, energy consumption, waste minimisation and environmental accident prevention. Part B installations are required to control air pollution and include businesses such as vehicle re-sprayers, cement batchers and unloading of petrol into petrol stations.

The Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 prescribe which industrial installations need to hold permits. An operator of a prescribed installations which does not hold a permit is committing an offence. Prior to commencing the operation of a prescribed installation, the operator must submit an application, with a fee, to the local authority. The local authority must then consult with statutory bodies for any comments on the application. A permit containing numerous operating conditions in accordance with government guidance must then be issued or refused within a set time period. The operator of the prescribed installation must comply with the conditions of the permit or the local authority may take enforcement action against them. Operators are subject to routine inspections to check compliance with conditions.

Hartlepool Borough Council maintains a Public Register of Part B and A2 installations within its area. The Environment Agency maintains the public register for all A1 installations which can be found here: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/index


Application Forms for Permitted Installations have been provided which can be downloaded, completed and sent to us using the contact details below.

Part B Application Form - Generic
Part B Application Form - Dry Cleaners
Part B Application Form - Petrol Filling Station
Part B Application Form - Concrete Batching Plant (blending, packing, loading, unloading and use of bulk cement.)
Part B Application Form - Quarry Process
Part B Application Form – Timber and Manufacture of Wood-based Products
Part A(2) Application for a Permit


Our fees and charges for Permits can be found here:


Only a person who has control over the operation of a regulated activity may obtain or hold an environmental permit. This person is the “operator”. A permit application may be made by an agent on behalf of the operator. Applications must be made using the appropriate forms (see above) and there will be an application fee to pay that varies depending on the activity in question. Fees are set by the Secretary of State for Environment and Rural Affairs. We always recommended that you contact us at email: environmental.protection@hartlepool.gov.uk in the first instance to discuss your application.


If, once you have made your application, we require further information then we will notify you. If you do not provide us with this information then we will withdraw your application.

All applications for new permits (except mobile plant, dry cleaners and petrol filling stations) are required to undergo a public consultation and we must consider any representations before granting the permit.

We will make a decision within four months of accepting your application. However, applications for dry cleaners are required to be determined within three months.

It is illegal to operate a permitted process before a permit has been granted. In addition, being granted a permit does not mean that the site to which the permit relates has planning permission for that land use. Planning permission is a separate matter and should be obtained in advance of applying for an environmental permit, or at the very least at the same time.



It is a requirement of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 that we consult the public on applications for an environmental permit where the application is for a process that is not a dry cleaner, petrol station or mobile plant.

Public consultation in the vast majority of cases will be limited to notification via this page.

The consultation period for new applications and draft determinations is set within the Environmental Permitting Regulations. The consultation period for all new applications is 30 working days and 20 working days for consultation on draft determination of A2 applications.

Any written comments received from the public will be placed on the public register unless they include a request that this is not done. In such circumstances the register will include a note that representations have been made which are not on the register because of such a request.

There are currently no active consultations 

If you wish to comment on an application, please email: environmental.protection@hartlepool.gov.uk and quote the permit application number and site address. Please also specify that you are responding to a public consultation process.


If we don't accept your application it will be returned, along with any fee and the reason(s) why this conclusion was reached. Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a permit, or by any condition to which a permit is subject may appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of decision.



If you feel we have failed to provide you with a good service, or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have.


Once a permit is issued we will add your application to our Public Register. Routine inspections of the permitted activity will be carried out, those activities with a higher pollution potential being inspected more frequently. The inspections are carried out to ensure that the activity is being operated in accordance with the conditions of the permit. If an operator breaches the conditions set out in a permit we can take enforcement action, which may lead to prosecution.



Varying a Permit

If a permit holder decides to make a change in the operation of their installation, we must be notified 14 days prior to the change being made. If the proposed change requires any environmental permit conditions to be varied, an application for variation will have to be made.

Transferring a Permit

If a permit holder decides to change the operator’s trading name, registered name, registered company address we must be notified in writing 14 days prior to the change being made.

Before an environmental permit can be wholly or partially transferred to another person, the following application form must be completed and submitted to us. Both the existing and proposed permit holders need to sign the application form.

Surrendering a Permit

If a permit holder decides to stop operating a permitted activity they will have to notify us by completing a permit surrender form:  



Please contact us with any complaint about emissions from processes which we regulate and we will investigate.

Contact the Environment Agency about their sites.

Environmental Protection Team
Hartlepool Borough Council
Civic Centre
Victoria Road
TS24 8AY
Tel: 01429 284024
Email: environmental.protection@hartlepool.gov.uk