You must hold a permit to stage a public performance of hypnotism for entertainment purposes - whether live or broadcast.

You won’t need a permit if the hypnotism is for the purpose of scientific demonstration or research, or if you are only hypnotising yourself.


You may also need a theatre or entertainment licence, depending on the venue and the type of performance. Ask the council if you’re unsure after reading your permit.

You may also need to:

  • hold public liability insurance if the venue’s insurance doesn’t cover your performance
  • add to any performance poster, advertisement or programme the words “volunteers, who must be aged 18 or older, can refuse at any point to continue taking part in the performance”

See your permit for the exact conditions you must follow.

Apply online