Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 came into effect on 1st October 2013 and requires anyone operating a business of buying or selling scrap metal in Hartlepool to be licensed by us.

Do you deal in Scrap Metal?

The new law describes a scrap metal dealer as someone who carries on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not metal is sold in the form in which it was bought, OR someone who carries on business as a motor salvage operator.

If your business fits within one of the definitions above you may need to obtain a new Scrap Metal licence and you should read on for more details.

What types of licence are there?

If you are a scrap metal dealer you must apply for one of the two types of licence available. These are: -

  • Site licence This type of licence is needed for anyone operating a scrap metal business from a fixed site or sites.
  • Collectors licence This type of licence is needed for anyone buying or selling scrap metal door to door.

Please note that only one type of licence can be held at any one time so, if you need a licence, you must decide which type of licence is appropriate for your business. 


How to apply for a licence

You must complete the application form and return it to the Licensing Team, together with the following: 

  • Photographic ID e.g. Valid passport or photo card driving licence    (original or certified copy)
  • Utility Bill (original or certified copy)
  • A Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure England
  • Fees -please refer to our Fees & Charges.  Please note a Licence last for 3 years.   

Please note that it will be a criminal offence to operate a scrap metal dealers business without the appropriate licence.

If you are in any doubt or require further assistance please contact the Licensing Team.