Electoral Nominations

You can be a candidate if you are: Aged 18 or over, and on the electoral register, and lived, worked or owned property in Hartlepool for at least a year.

You may be disqualified as a candidate if:

  • You work for the Council
  • You hold a politically restricted post with another local authority.
  • You have been made bankrupt
  • You have a previous criminal conviction with a three-month or more prison sentence.


Most candidates are nominated through a political party. However, individuals are welcome to apply and can stand as an independent councillor if they do not wish to be associated to a particular party.

To be accepted as a candidate you must get one person to agree to propose your nomination, another person to agree to second the proposal for Parish Council Elections, for Borough Council Elections, UK Parliamentary Elections and European Parliamentary Elections, you must get further eight people to agree to assent your nomination paper. You must also submit consent to nomination with your nomination paper, which must be witnessed.

Interested in becoming a councillor?

Further information is available on the Electoral Commission website