Residential and Nursing Care Homes

If you are finding it difficult to manage at home, or need more help than your carers are able to provide, you may want to think about residential care.

There are two main types of residential home:

  • residential care homes, and;
  • residential care homes with nursing.

Residential care homes provide accommodation, meals and help with personal care (such as washing and dressing).

Residential homes with nursing provide the same services as residential care homes, but have registered nursing staff on hand to help residents with more complex health needs.

You may also be interested in extra care housing.  Extra care housing and Extra care housing schemes aim to help people live as independently as possible in their own homes, with care and support available if it is needed.

Download our booklet

For the most up-to-date information about extra care, residential and nursing care in Hartlepool, download our booklet from our factsheets and publication section. 

Fees and assessments

We may be able to help with all or part of your residential care fees.  One of our social care staff will assess your needs in a social care assessment.  If you would like an assessment, you should speak to our Early Intervention Team first of all.

You can contact the Early Intervention Team by letter, telephone, textphone, or e-mail.  If you want to speak to someone in person, visit Reception at the Civic Centre and ask to see an Early Intervention Team Social Worker.  If English is not your first language, we can provide a translation service.