How to claim


Information about how to calculate or claim Housing Benefit, Local Council Tax Support and Free School Meals 

If you are on a low income and have savings or investments of less than £16,000, either working, unemployed or retired, you may be able to claim help with your rent and council tax payments. The amount of benefit you receive will depend on your income and savings.


If you are claiming Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance (income based), Employment and Support Allowance (income related) or Guarantee Pension Credit you may still need to pay council tax.

Use our on-line benefits calculator to give you an idea of how much benefit you might receive.

If you would like to make an application for benefit please contact the benefits section on 01429 284188 or e-mail

To apply for benefit you will need to complete a Housing Benefit/Local Council Tax Support application form and provide evidence of your income and savings, for your claim to be assessed. We will need to see two forms of identity, proof of savings proof of all income for you and your partner if you have one and proof of all income and savings for anyone living in your household who is over the age of 18 and not dependant on you. and/or details of any benefit entitlement that has been awarded to you.

The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduces some changes to the benefit cap. These changes, which will take effect in autumn 2016, include changes to the benefit cap levels to £23,000 a year for couples with or without children and lone parents and £15,410 for single people without children in Greater London, and £20,000 and £13,400 respectively for those groups elsewhere in Great Britain.  They also include additional exemptions for recipients of Guardian's Allowance, Carer's Allowance and Universal Credit claimants who receive payments towards carer's costs.

For more information about the benefit cap changes please visit www.Gov.UK/benefit-cap