Local Council Tax Support Scheme
As part of its overall plan to cut the national welfare budget by £18 billion, from 1st April 2013 the Government abolished Council Tax Benefit and replaced it with a Local Council Tax Support Scheme for claimants of working age only.
The Government have cut the money which Hartlepool receives, to operate its Local Council Tax Support Scheme. The Council has limited the level of cuts for Local Council Tax Support awards to 12% since 01/04/14.
- Second Adult Rebate/Betterbuy is abolished for working age customers.
- Backdating is restricted to one month
- Increase in non-dependant deductions in line with Government increases
- Earned income disregards to be increased by £5.00 per week
- The existing local war pension/war widows pension disregards to be maintained.
- Please note only people of working age are affected by the reduction in support.
If you are liable to pay Council Tax and are in receipt of Universal Credit, Council Tax Reduction must still be claimed from the Local Authority.