Capital and Savings

The general rule is that all forms of capital owned by you and your partner, if you have one are counted. This includes savings investments, most property and one-off lump sums.  Children's capital is not counted.  The Council is not interested if your capital is less than £6,000.

If your capital in total is more than £16,000 you will not qualify for Housing Benefit/Local Council Tax Support.


HOWEVER , if you are entitled to Guarantee Pension Credit you may have savings of more than £16,000 and still qualify for Housing Benefit/ Local Council Tax Support.


If you or your partner are entitled to Savings Pension Credit you must advise the Pension Service if your savings increase or decrease.  You may have up to £10,000 before your Housing /Local Tax Support changes.  If your savings rise above £16,000 then you will no longer be entitled to Housing Benefit or  Local Council Tax Support.


If you are of Working Age it is important that you tell us about any changes to your savings above £6,000 as this may effect your entitlement.