Arrears of Rent/Payment to Landlord

What to do if there are rent arrears. 

If you are renting from a private landlord, Local Housing Allowance is normally paid direct to the tenant.

If you are renting from a Registered Social Landlord or Housing Association you can normally decide whether you would like to receive your Housing Benefit direct to yourself or if you would like it to be paid direct to your landlord.

If it is thought that receiving direct payments will cause you serious problems you need to complete one of the following forms:

  • If you are the tenant then you should request, complete and return Payment to Landlord Request Form DPV1.
  • If you are a third party such as a landlord, relative, care worker etc. then you should request, complete and return Payment to Landlord Request Form DPV2.
If there are 8 weeks or more of rent arrears the benefit section can take action to pay the landlord direct.

Evidence of arrears must be provided along with a signed statement requesting payment direct to landlord.

The council cannot meet the arrears that have built up. Recovery of those arrears is a matter between the landlord and the tenant.

If it is believed that the rent will not be paid we will require evidence to support this. If there is a history of rent arrears, severe debt problems or an inability to open a bank account this may be used as evidence. Depending on the reasons given, this evidence may be sought primarily from professional support workers or health care professionals, but others can, with the service user's consent, make representations to the council. Each case will be looked at on its own merits.

Please provide as much information as possible. We will then consider a request for a direct payment in these cases.

To request a form please write to us at the following address:

Hartlepool Borough Council,
Benefits Section
Civic Centre
Victoria Road
TS24 8AY