Private Fostering

If you care for someone else's child for 28 days or more this may be a private fostering arrangement.

Private fostering can occur for many reasons such as:

  • children going to live with a friend's family after separation, divorce or arguments at home
  • children coming from abroad to access education and health services
  • teenagers living with the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • It does not refer to children on weekend or holiday visits.

If you answer yes to the following questions, you may be a private foster carer.

  • Do you look after a child who is not closely related to you?
  • Do they live with you?
  • Is this a private arrangement between you and the child's parent?
  • Is this a full-time arrangement?
  • Will it last for 28 days or more?

If you live in Hartlepool, you must notify the Local Authority if you have a private fostering arrangement.

Contact The Children's Hub on 01429 284284.

For more information about private fostering, click here.