COVID-19: Hartlepool residents and businesses urged to be cautiousPublished Friday, 16th July 2021
“Let’s not drop the ball now as Coronavirus restrictions are lifted.” That’s the message from Craig Blundred, Hartlepool Borough Council’s Director of Public Health.
Mr Blundred was speaking following the Government’s confirmation it will proceed with Step 4 of the roadmap out of lockdown next week.
He said: “Hartlepool – like the rest of the United Kingdom – is currently experiencing a worrying surge in the number of cases and it is clear COVID-19 is here to stay and something each and every one of us will have to learn to live with.
“It’s therefore really important we continue to protect those that we love and we must continue to exercise caution as restrictions are lifted.
“For example, the evidence is clear that wearing face coverings in busy indoor areas and on public transport will still help to protect you and those around you even though they're no longer legally required.
“Continuing to wash and sanitise your hands regularly and allowing fresh air to circulate indoors will also help to reduce infections.
“But the most important thing of all is that each and every one of us gets the vaccine when we are called to do so – it’s something that protects us, our families and all those that we love.”
Denise McGuckin, Hartlepool Borough Council’s Managing Director, added: “As the Prime Minister said on Monday, moving to Step 4 is a real balance of risks and the public in Hartlepool should continue to be cautious – the emphasis is now very much on our own personal responsibility.
“Sadly, this pandemic is far from over and Coronavirus continues to carry risks to your family and my family.
“On Monday, please don’t instantly revert to life as it was before the pandemic and – as Boris Johnson said – it is expected and recommend that people wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed spaces where you come into contact with those you don’t normally meet.”
‘Determination to work together’
Councillor Shane Moore, Leader of Hartlepool Borough Council, said: “Since the pandemic began last year, Hartlepool residents have had to make significant sacrifices over many months and we absolutely thank them for that – it has not been easy for anyone.
“Understandably, residents and business across the Borough are tired and frustrated but we really need them to continue to demonstrate the same determination to work together to for the good of everyone.
“A slow and steady approach is absolutely the safest option.”
Councillor Shane Moore
‘Testing is key’
Mr Blundred added: “Of course not everything changes on Monday and carrying on with regular Lateral Flow Device tests to make sure you aren't spreading the virus to others in Hartlepool without realising is key.
“For people with symptoms, there are two local (PCR) testing centres at the Hartlepool Waterfront site and the Sandy Car Park at Seaton Carew and for people without symptoms, we have a COVID Test and Collect Centre in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre.
“You can can find out more about testing at www.hartlepool.gov.uk/coronavirus-info”
For the full list of restrictions and guidelines from Monday 19th July, please visit the GOV.UK website.