COVID-19: Hartlepool listed as enhanced response areaPublished Friday, 23rd July 2021
With Coronavirus cases rising in Hartlepool, the Government has today announced enhanced support for the Borough, along with the whole of the North East region.
Enhanced Response Areas are aimed at slowing down the rate of infections and allowing time for more people to get both vaccinations.
The detail of the support package – which will be in place for five weeks initially – is still being worked on but will include assistance to roll out more localised vaccine delivery.
Craig Blundred, Hartlepool Borough Council’s Director of Public Health, says it’s a clear reminder the virus is still very much with us: “Hartlepool – like the rest of the North East – is currently experiencing a worrying surge in the number of cases.
“Today’s announcement reminds us just how important it is that we all continue to exercise caution and protect those that we love.
“The evidence is clear that the most important thing we can all do is to get the vaccine when we are called to do so – in short it means we are less likely to become ill and have less chance of spreading the virus to those who may be more vulnerable.
“It’s good to see that – despite the lifting of requirements – many people across Hartlepool are continuing to wear a face covering in busy indoor spaces and on public transport as we know these provide effective protection.
“Continuing to wash and sanitise your hands regularly and allowing fresh air to circulate indoors will also help to reduce infections.”
Denise McGuckin, Hartlepool Borough Council’s Managing Director, added: “Today’s Government announcement is a clear reminder this pandemic is far from over and that Coronavirus continues to carry risks for us all.
“It is reassuring many people across Hartlepool have chosen not to instantly revert to life as it was before the pandemic and continue to wear face coverings where they come into contact with people they don’t normally meet and I would encourage this behaviour to continue.”
Councillor Shane Moore, Leader of Hartlepool Borough Council, said: “Since the pandemic began last year, Hartlepool residents have had to make significant sacrifices over many months and we absolutely thank them for that – it has not been easy for anyone.
“Understandably, residents and business across the Borough are tired and frustrated but we really need them to continue to demonstrate the same determination to work together for the good of everyone.
“Together, we’ve achieved so much during the pandemic. Let’s carry on being careful to make sure these collective efforts are not wasted in the weeks and months to come.”
Further details of the support package will be announced in due course.