Giving notice of intention

COVID-19: Service information

If you wish to get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales you must declare that you are legally free to do so.

To give notice at Hartlepool Register Office you need an appointment, please contact complete an online enquiry form or call us on 01429 523337 

Do I need to give notice?

If you are getting married in a Church of England or Wales church and both you and your partner are UK or European Economic Area (EEA) nationals (including Switzerland) you do not normally need to involve your local register office; speak to the vicar of the church for further information.

If you are getting married in a Church of England or Wales church and either you or your partner, or both of you, are not UK or European Economic Area (EEA) nationals (including Switzerland) you will need to give notice.

All other marriages and all civil partnerships in England and Wales require notice to be given unless an exception has been granted by the General Register Office (GRO)

When should we give notice?

Before giving notice, you must both have been resident at an address in England or Wales for at least seven consecutive days (not including the first day you start living at the address or the day you go to give notice).

Notice can be given a maximum of 12 months prior to your ceremony. You must both give notice at least 29 days before the ceremony. In certain cases, depending on your immigration status, this may be extended to 71 days. We advise that where possible you give notice 3 months before your ceremony.

Notice validity

Notices are valid for 12 months from when you give notice. The notice is only valid for the ceremony location that you state at the time of giving notice. If you later decide to change the venue a new notice will need to be given and the notice period of 29-71 days will need to be completed again.

Where do we give notice?

UK / EEA National 

Notice should be given in your local register office; if you and your partner live in different districts you will need to go to separate offices

Either partner is not a UK / EEA National*;

Notice needs to be provided to the nearest Designated Register Office (DRO); the North East offices are Middlesbrough and Newcastle

*If you are both exempt from immigration controls in the UK (e.g. you have Right of Abode, diplomatic status or are serving in HM Forces) then notice must instead be given at your local register office. You must both make a declaration of your immigration status at the time of giving notice.

How much does it cost?

Marriage and civil partnership fees

What do I need to bring to my appointment? 

Required documents

Parents' information (ceremonies in England and Wales only)

Up to four parents’ details can be recorded. It is up to the individual to decide the order in which the parents’ details are record i.e. whether their mother’s details are record first or their father’s details are. Parents may include;

  • Mother(s), natural, adoptive* or step parent**
  • Father(s), natural, adoptive* or step parent**
  • Parent(s), i.e a 2nd female parent

* Adoptive parent can be recorded if a legal adoption took place
** A step-parent is a person who is, or who has been married to or in a civil partnership with the mother, father or parent.

While many people will be delighted with the opportunity to include their mother, step-parents or other parent(s) in the registration others may prefer not to. It is not mandatory to provide parent’s details.

If you choose to record parents' details the registrar will record;

  • Parent’s name
  • Occupation (or usual / last occupation)
  • If they are a step-parent
  • If they are deceased or living
  • If they are retired or working

More information

Further information can be found on the GOV.UK complete guide to marriages and civil partnerships in the UK