If you don't pay

If you are unable to pay your council tax, we would like to do all we can to help. 

A Reminder Notice  is issued after an instalment is due. If you don’t pay the amount on the reminder notice within 7 days, we will cancel your right to pay by instalments. You will then have to pay the full amount of council tax you owe within 7 days. 

If we hold an up-to-date telephone number, we may attempt to contact you to try to avoid any further action being taken. This may involve an automated call from the numbers 01429 650001 or 01429650001 which will allow you to speak to a member of the Revenues Team at no cost to yourself. 

A Summons is issued if you don't pay the full amount on the reminder. We will send you a Magistrates Court summons, which adds costs to the amount you already owe. At the court hearing, we will apply for a Liability Order against you.

A Liability Order allows the Council to take further action to collect the amount you owe. This further action might involve one or more of the following:

  • Arrangement
  • Attachment of Earnings
  • Attachment of Benefit
  • Committal Notice
  • Enforcement Agent
  • Charging Order on your property
  • Bankruptcy

If we know there is a problem there are a number of ways in which we can help to reduce the burden of paying Council Tax.

  • Special Payment Arrangements - We will ask you about your earnings and the bills you have to pay, and make a special arrangement based on what you can afford to pay.
  • Council Tax Support - We will look into your circumstances to see whether you can claim Council Tax Support or any other Benefit, which will help to make the most of your income.
  • Exemptions, Discounts, Reductions - Depending on your circumstances you may be able to claim a reduction, e.g. if you care for someone who lives with you, or you have special facilities in your home for a disabled person, you may be entitled to a reduction.

Remember - we are here to help. If you have a problem making a payment, please contact the Recovery Section on 01429 284166.

Make a Payment

If you have not contacted the Recovery Section about payment of the arrears detailed on your letter, you must make full payment on line by debit or credit card to stop further enforcement action:

Committal Notice -  You must attend court on the date stipulated. Please contact the named officer using the telephone number on the letter you received. You can make full payment on line by debit or credit card to stop further action.

Enforcement - If you don't pay, the Council passes your account to an Enforcement Agent (previously called a Bailiff) for collection. If you are unable to pay what you owe immediately, they may be able to make an arrangement to avoid removing your goods.

If you have any query please email the Recovery Section

You can also visit us, our opening times are 9:00am - 5:00pm Monday to Thursday, 9:00am - 4:30pm Friday.