Alcohol, Entertainment & Late Night Refreshment

The Licensing System

The Licensing Act 2003 applies to the following activities: -

  • The sale of alcohol or supply of alcohol
  • The provision of regulated entertainment which includes music and dancing (you may also require further licences for the payment of royalties, which are not issued by the Local Authority)
  • The supply of late-night refreshment (hot food or hot drink after 11pm )

Under the terms of the Act anyone wishing to offer any of the above activities to members of the general public must first obtain an appropriate authorisation from us. Usually this will be in the form a licence but, for occasional activities, a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) may be used.

Licences usually cover the premises where the activities will be offered (called a premises licence) but if alcohol is to be made available a separate licence (called a personal licence) will also be required.

There are different rules for private members clubs that meet certain criteria. Please call the Council's Licensing Team for further information.

 Apply for a licence  Details of applications received    Premises Licence Register