Allotments in Hartlepool
Avian Influenza Prevention Zone
Keepers within the high risk areas must also take steps to reduce the risk of infection. These are:
- Keep feed and water inside where they cannot be contaminated, feed birds inside and keep them away from standing water
- Minimise movement in and out of your birds’ enclosure and clean footwear before and after visits.
- Keep the area where your birds live clean and tidy, removing spilled feed.
- Make sure you have effective vermin control in the area where your poultry are kept.
- Put foot baths and a boot brush with a Defra-approved disinfectant at the entrance to all areas where birds are kept.
DEFRA have produced a leaflet for keepers of “backyard flocks” which can be downloaded from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/595159/ai-birdflu-factsheet-170225.pdf
You can read the Council’s statement about the control measures at https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/620/avian_flu_outbreak_prompts_control_measures