Ceremony in the Middlegate Room
Hartlepool Register Office's main ceremony room is situated at the Borough Hall at the heart of the historic Headland.
Located on the first floor on the Borough Hall with large windows overlooking Hartlepool Bay. There are several locations nearby which are perfect for photographs including the tea gardens to the front of the building, the Town Wall and beach.
The room is fully accessable via lift from the Borough Hall atrium. A car park is located nearby along with on street parking.
What will my Middlegate room ceremony be like with the current Government restrictions?
Last updated 5 August 2020
Please see below guidance that was set out by the Government and subsequent General Register Office guidance in relation to all marriages and civil partnerships.
The current full Government guidance can be viewed at www.gov.uk
Any bookings that are made will be made under the below arrangements. The number of guests able to attend and what the ceremony will look like will be changed if restrictions allow.
- Ceremonies can only take place in a COVID 19 secure environment – this means that risk assessments for all registration offices and approved venues, maximum capacity and control measures need to be in place and signed off by Hartlepool Borough Council Health & Safety prior to any ceremony being conducted.
- In order to support the NHS Test and Trace programme Hartlepool Registration Service will be recording the contact details (name and telephone number) of couples and guests as well as recording the time they enter and leave the ceremony venue. This information will be held safely and in compliance with GDPR regulatons for a period of 21 days and then destroyed / deleted.
- Social distancing rules of 2m will be observed within the venue and ceremony room.
- From 8 August guests at weddings and civil partnership ceremonies are required to wear a face covering unless they are exempt due to health, age or equality reasons. Further information can be found at www.gov.uk
- The couple can wear face coverings if they choose to. If a face covering is worn it will need to be removed briefly prior to the ceremony commencing to allow the Registrars to view the couple's faces.
- Hand sanitiser is to be used prior to entering the room. Couples and witnesses will also be expected to use hand sanitiser before signing the Register pages.
- No member of the ceremony party or guest should attend the venue if they are displaying symptoms of Covid-19 or feel unwell. If it is found that someone is unwell or that the maximum numbers have been exceeded, the ceremony will not take place and will have to be re-booked. There will be a fee payable for this change.
How many people can attend a ceremony at the Middlegate Room?
A seating plan of the Middlegate Room can be viewed here
The Middlegate Room is able to accommodate;
- The couple
- 2 witnesses
- 4-8 guests*
*The number of guests able to attend in dependent on the guests’ household make up. Please see the room layout for further information. All the ‘B’ seats marked with an asterisk can only be used if the person in seat ‘A’ is in their household / support bubble. Small children who can sit in their parent / guardian’s lap do not have to be counted as having a seat, older children who require their own seat do.
Any children attending the ceremony must be supervised by a household member. Any infants attending must be held throughout the ceremony by a household member.
What will the ceremony consist of?
The ceremony will consist of:
- Declaratory & contractual vows - legal requirement
- Exchange of rings (optional)
- Completion of the Register / Schedule
The following aspects will be excluded:
- Additional vows
- Certificate presentation
Can I we have bridesmaids, flowergirls, pageboys etc (attendants)?
Unfortunately due to space restrictions in the Middlegate Room it is not possible for attendants to walk into the room ahead of the ceremony party, they must be seated for the commencement of the ceremony.
Can I be given away?
Social distancing must be maintained at all times during the ceremony. Due to space restrictions in the Middlegate Room if you are not in the same household / support bubble as an escort they will be unable to walk down the aisle with you. While it is possible to be 'given away' the person giving you away will be unable to stand next to you due to space restrictions. They will seated with the guests and asked to stand at the appropriate point in the ceremony.
Who can hold the rings?
It is not possible for a third party bringing the rings forward, the rings must be held by the couple.
Can music be played?
Music from a CD / flashdrive can be played for the ceremony entrance and exit. It is not possible for live music to be played.
Can we have a photographer?
You are able to have a photographer, they do not have to be accounted for in the seating plan however they will be included in the total number of people in the room. In accordance with Government guidelines the maximum number of people able to be in a ceremony room is 30.
Please note that the amount of time available for photographs will be limited and the photographer will need to observe the instructions of the Registration Team as to where they can and can not stand.
How do I make a booking?
If you would like to make a booking please contact us to check availability.
How much does a ceremony cost?