Private Landlords and Tenants

Private tenants - possession proceedings/leaving your private rented property

Sometimes your landlord may ask you to leave your rented property. Your landlord may serve you with a legal notice called a Section 21 notice or a Section 8 notice.  You have legal rights and your landlord must follow correct procedures.  You will find the following information useful. 

Early and regular communication with your landlord can sometimes prevent difficulties from arising.

If you have been served with a notice to leave your rented property or being asked to leave without any legal notice being served, you should contact the Housing Advice Team at the council at your earliest opportunity.  If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless or your landlord has asked you to leave, you should also contact the council: