Apply for Housing

Social housing

Most social housing in Hartlepool is advertised for rent via the Hartlepool Home Search lettings system www.hartlepoolhomesearch.co.uk


Private Rented housing

There are several local landlords in Hartlepool and obviously we cannot recommend one over the other.


Good Tenant scheme

If a landlord asks you whether you have a Good Tenant card, you need to apply at Reception at the Civic Centre. You will need to bring ID, something with your National Insurance number, proof of the current address, for any adults over the age of 18.

The Good Tenant scheme is a system whereby the background of the adults is checked which includes the following 

  1. Anti-social behaviour / nuisance / disorder,
  2. Criminal activity,
  3. Rent arrears,
  4. Damage to their property,
  5. Tenancy abandonment,
  6. Breach of tenancy.

The aim of the scheme is to reduce anti-social behaviour in the private rented sector by providing landlords with information regarding a person’s tenancy history to assist a landlord in deciding whether to offer a member of the scheme a tenancy and, where appropriate, but linking people to support to help them get and then to maintain a property. 



If you have issues with repairs on a rented property, you can seek advice from the Housing Standards team. 

If there is a dispute between yourself and your landlord, you must remember that you must continue to pay your rent as if you end up homeless, you may be considered as intentionally homeless due to rent arrears.


Help with housing costs

If you’re eligible for Universal Credit you can get help to cover your rent and some service charges.

If you’re not in receipt of Universal credit, you may be able to apply for Housing Benefit to help pay your rent, or you may be directed towards a claim for Universal Credit depending on your circumstances.

If you want to rent a property in the private sector, and you cannot afford the bond, you may be eligible for help with this from Local Welfare Support