Planning your ceremony

There is a wide range of places you can get married / form a civil partnership, and different ceremony types available.

Where can we have our ceremony?

Religious building

Marriages can take place in a religious building which is registered for marriage. There can be some rules that restrict who can get married there so you should check with the person in charge of ceremonies at the venue.

Most religious venues have an authorised person to perform the ceremony, however some do not so please check this with the venue. If they do not have an authorised person, you will need to book a registrar from to attend.

Register office

You can have a civil marriage ceremony or civil partnership ceremony in any register office in England or Wales.

Approved premise

A civil marriage ceremony or civil partnership ceremony can take place in any venue that has been approved by the local authority to be a ceremony venue.

Outside England and Wales

Marriages and civil partnership legislation varies from country to country, further information can be found via the below links.

Marriage / civil partnership in Scotland

Marriage / civil partnership in Northern Ireland

Marriage / civil partnership abroad

How soon can we have a ceremony?

Before a ceremony can take place legal requirements need to be completed; this varies depending on the country where the ceremony is taking place. Further information on the requirements for England and Wales can be found on our giving notice of intention page.

Where are the register office venues in Hartlepool?

Civic Suite

Middlegate Room

What civil venues are licensed for marriage / civil partnership in Hartlepool?

Licensed premises

How much does it cost?

Marriage and civil partnership fees

What will my ceremony contain?

Ceremonies consist of a welcome and introduction, the legal requirements of the ceremony, the signing of the register or schedule and finally the taking of photographs. If you choose to book a ceremony at the Middlegate Room or licensed premise you will have a meeting prior to the ceremony day with a registrar to discuss your requirements and personalise your ceremony.

How do I book a ceremony with Hartlepool Registration Service?

Booking a marriage / civil partnership ceremony

How far in advance can I book with Hartlepool Registration Service?

Middlegate Room and licensed premises - up to two years in advance
Civic Suite - up to one year in advance